Powered by Blogger.

Pages

Week 1 of 4th Semester!

Sunday, September 1, 2013
Can I just take a moment to express my excitement? Not only have I made it passed the first year mark, but now it's my turn to have buddies.  Here's the deal, our PA program has a 'buddy' system providing a soothing transition for the newbies. The president of the 2nd years will look over the list of the in-coming students and matche us with one. In fact, JMU/PA now accepts 30 new students unlike the previous years of 25ish. Because of the extra students I took on two 'buddies.'  

Talk about perspective, "So, that's how I looked my first week of PA school?!"


Bright eyes filled with hope! 

It truly is a different view, knowing they have to experience what I just went through for the past year.  Empathy!  Nothing, but empathy! You know they just signed on and paid thousands of dollar for  professors to knock them on their back and kick 'em while their down. No, for real though, I am here to assist them while they make their transition.  

This semester for us is going to be just as demanding as the last.  However, they are slowly letting us rats out of our cages.  Less lectures and more hands-on work shops!!! Yay!! Our new program director has experience in ER, orthopedics and the OR. He is using his connections to create new workshops for us.  For instance, we will be going to the local ER on a Saturday to learn FAST.  Focused Assessment Sonography in Trauma. This semester we will be learning sutures, splints, foley catheters and joint aspirations.  All of which I am excited for.  

More exciting stuff: EKGs and radiographs.  We are learning how to read such subjects.  EKGs, yes!  However, I'm a bit more enthused for x-rays.  In radiologic technology school I learned how to take images, but not how to intrepid them.  Granted, after working in the field for a number of years I picked some info up, but this will be more detailed. 

I also started a clinic problem solving class.  This is all 'how to' present patient information. Practicing for rounds.  Speaking of rounds, I will know what rotations I will have by the end of this semester.  Rotations start mid January!!!

The least favorite class of this semester is the Women's Med. Don't get me wrong, I'm curious about it, but doubt I'll end up in this field. Can't leave out Pharmacology II and the grad thesis project.



Either way, I'm extremely excited for this semester!


1 comments:

  1. Max and Deanna said...:

    Keep up the good work Chad. Your excitement is contagious. I love your pictures.

Post a Comment

 
On My Way To PA © 2011 | Designed by Blogger Templates Gallery