Powered by Blogger.

Pages

Rhythm

Tuesday, October 1, 2013
I lost count of the weeks not because of the busy nature of the semester, but more from doing my best to stay on top of things before it over throws me.

I have been debating on what to type lately cuz we have been repeating the same grad-school patterns over and over.  However, while sitting in my Clinical Lab II class our professor handed out a packet.  Not that I'm excited about this by any means.  Unavoidable non the less, the huge EKG test. I was having a perfectly good morning up to that point.  She called out my name and I slowly raised my hand to receive the weighted present.  This test incorporates approximately 20 different EKGs, including limb and 12 lead. We have to not only tell what time of pattern we see, but the rate, rhythm and why.


This was one subject that has brought fear into my life for a while now.  Fact is, I have never dealt with EKGs.  However, having spent the last few weeks going over them I feel much more confident. We began from the basics, reviewed the cardio-physiology, including cardiac output and electrical pathways and then connected the dots. We have an amazing professor who is willing to beat a 'dead horse.'  In other words, repetition on the subject of EKGs was extremely helpful.  The more you look at them, the better you'll get.


On top of this EKG test, we also have an EKG online quiz due the same day.  Also, we took our first Pharmacology II exam today. Not that it went poorly, but it's frustrating to study almost 50 pages ofDETAILED notes and to have only 35 questions, plus some matching of brand/generics on the test. Basically, you put in hours on top of hours of studying just to spit it all out in 20 - 30 minutes. Comparison to a meal, except the food is much more amazing than a test.


As I mentioned previously, we have 1st year student on board now.  It has been interesting to watch their emotional levels rise and fall over the pass couple of weeks.  Especially, during this last week where they took their first tests.  As much as I enjoyed Anatomy and working on the cadavers, I don't believe I could ever do it again.  A couple of us went into the lab to visit with the first years and 'holy crap!' I forgot how awful that smell was!  Anyways, I took some time and covered the radiographs with them and then quickly left.  



2 comments:

  1. Shauna said...:

    I have much faith in you and your abilities. You will persevere.

  1. Max and Deanna said...:

    Enjoy hearing of your progress. You are doing great!!

Post a Comment

 
On My Way To PA © 2011 | Designed by Blogger Templates Gallery