Powered by Blogger.

Pages

Catching up

Sunday, June 2, 2013

To start things off, I want to give a big shout out to my two oldest.  They had a dance recital last night and they both did wonderfully!  It was Grace's first and Hannah's, um maybe sixth? Grace did ballet and this was Hannah's first time dancing lyrical. Super pretty and talented lil girls!


Every year the AAPA (American Academy of Physician Assistant) holds a major continuing education seminar.  A couple of classmates and I headed over to DC to take part.  I found out rather quickly that downtown is ruthless when it comes to parking.  


Once we got established, we headed out: The Washington Convention Center.
This place was huge, but perfect for the amount of PAs that attended.


Even though the convention lasted for about 6 days, we had planned to only stay two.  We were told to  attend the first couple of days to obtain all the free junk. However, this year the exhibits didn't open until the fourth day.  Ya, a bit annoyed.  Oh, well. I at least got a couple of free pens and a shirt. 

The second day was all presentations.  One in particular regarding immediate treatment for burns was fascinating. The speaker showed videos on fasciotomy (nobody was prepared for the grossness) and surgical procedures for skin grafting. The basic idea for faciotomy is when injuries for example, a severe burn can lead to compartment syndrome.  The pressure placed upon the non-expandable tissue needs to be released.  This is done by cutting into the skin deep enough (usually the muscle) for excess fluids to be released. I can't help but think of a thoracic burn victim and his chest not being able to expand properly, so the physician will cut along the edge of the thorax allowing the lung to fully expand. 

We also listened to speakers on hematology, anemias and treatment for young broken bones.  I still have an interest in fractures and trying to diagnosis them via radiographs. Granted, I have always been a visual person, but I still lack desire for employment in orthopedics.

 What I have failed to mention is the fact that this convention occurred during memorial day weekend and remember it took place in DC...BUSY!  During my initial travels I saw a ton of motorcycles!  Some were local riders, but many of them came from varying states. One group held a flag stating they can traveled from California!


On my way home, I decided to drive passed many of the sites.  
This isn't my picture, but it replicates the exact  sea of motorcycles set out front of the pentagon.  I kid you not, there had to have been thousands of riders! In fact, the locals propped chairs on the over pass to solute the veterans on their bikes as they drove by. Motorcycle cops assisted in the crowd control on the freeways. I was amazed by all of the support. 

 I also did a quick drive by Arlington Cemetery.  Didn't see much because I was trying to get out of town before it became relentless.  However, Arlington Cemetery has always been on my wish list to see.  We, as a family are planning to visit it in the near future.

As I mentioned in a previous post, after studying certain disorders I start noticing little characteristics in individuals.  One in particular was the height and extremity length on a female.  I have no doubt she has Marfans syndrome.  This is an inherited d/o (disorder) which effects connective tissue.  The patient will present as extremely tall with long limbs and very skinny.  In fact, this female's hands went down to her knees, she was bone-skinny and you could tell that one lower limb was longer than the other because her iliac crests were not level and by her gait.  It can and usually effects the heart causing murmurs and other cardiovascular symptoms  
The positive note for this young woman was that she didn't let life hold her back and she is now teaching dance.


1 comments:

  1. Max and Deanna said...:

    I would have loved to see the dance recital. You're starting to sound like a PA!! Keep up the good work.

Post a Comment

 
On My Way To PA © 2011 | Designed by Blogger Templates Gallery