Powered by Blogger.

Pages

First Week of Third Semester

Sunday, May 26, 2013
Just sitting here enjoying family time.  My mom and in-laws traveled from south eastern Idaho to celebrate my daughter's decision to be baptized!


It was a sweet and spiritual meeting!  


I am proud of her!


I just need to say 'Thank You' to my beautiful wife.  She coordinated all of this including meals and family time.  And I am grateful for my family and their willingness to travel across the country to celebrate this exciting time. 


The first week of the third semester became rather difficult with family in town and a large calendar shift.  Class times can be altered at any moment.  This semester incorporates a major load of lecturers (local doctors, PAs or NPs) and depending upon their schedule, we may have to shift ours to meet their availability. This is includes evening class times...bluh!

The list of classes include: Clinical Medicine II, Physical Diagnosis II, Clinical Lab, Behavior Medicine, Health Care Environment and Pediatric Medicine.  

Yes, this is a large load for a summer semester!  14 credits in 12 weeks!

So far, Pediatrics has caught my interest.  I don't believe it is the field for me. However, I am intrigued by fetal/maternal risks and how the neonate should present based upon his/her gestational age and size.  The heart functions (blood pattern) differently in a fetus than when the baby is born.  Anyways, some great information. 

Physical diagnosis II will incorporate H & P (history and physical), but now we will be presented with a patient (fellow student) and will have to assess, create a differential diagnosis and propose a plan within a 15 minute span.  Also, we will also be diving into the 'why's' regarding the physical exam.  In other words, what should we be looking for  and how a disease may present. 

Clinical Lab is all about what type of labs to order and what information will be provided with each.  

Behavioral medicine is just that.  We'll be reviewing the DSM V (The bible for Psychologists) to assist our decisions in whether or not a patient needs behavioral attention or not.  One thing I found interesting, the DSM has removed Aspergers and dementia from their possible disorders. These terms may still be used in the medical field. 

Health Care Environment is a course covering governmental and insurance type topics.  Luckily no tests, but we will have an assigned topic and will have a debate upon it.  

My goals this semester are to stay on top of each topic presented.  I will pre read and review each presentation.  I have attempted this same tactic, but each semester seems to catch up to me rather quickly.  Eitherway, I am doing it.  


1 comments:

  1. Max and Deanna said...:

    Congratulations to Hannah. I'm amazed at what you are learning. Keep up the good work. And I agree with your friend that posted about your family picture. It caught the personality of each one of your daughters perfectly. Love to all of you.
    G-Wade

Post a Comment

 
On My Way To PA © 2011 | Designed by Blogger Templates Gallery