Powered by Blogger.

Pages

What Happened?!

Monday, January 14, 2013
What Happened?! Is exactly what I thought as I finished my first week of the second semester. Recall:  The first semester was filled with mind blowing, time consuming information.  And now, our classes are ending much earlier and beginning much later in the day.  I actually have time to work out. Crazy! I know! In fact, Abby has been surprised to see me home more often.  With all of this free time, I'm just waiting for the 'stuff' to hit the fan!  

Actually, this semester we will be putting our skills to work through a few off site activities.  We are going to be visiting a couple of retirement homes to practice our physical exams.  This will be interesting, they are giving us 1.5 hours to perform a full physical exam on an elderly patient...  The second facility we will only have an hour.  Also, we are going to assist at a local 'free clinic.' There we can practice our History taking skills as well as taking vitals. 

 Implementing what we have been practicing is very exciting!  It's becoming more and more real.


"Professor Binns opened his notes and began to read in a flat drone like an old vacuum cleaner until nearly everyone in the class was in a deep stupor, occasionally coming round long enough to copy down a name or date, then falling asleep again."

How does Harry Potter play a part in my education? Good question. Pharmacology, our professor reminds me of my grandpa and professor Binns.  He is a very sweet, elderly man like my G-pa, but dry similar to Professor Binns.  (He is a diary-man on the side, but that is besides the point.) He has a calm, quiet and slow voice. So, here it goes:  he introduces his class by sharing a half hour long slide show of one of his trips. Ok, that's neat, but on every slide he says something like this, "Then we stopped..." or "Here I am visiting..."  Reminded me of the a family sitting watching a vintage photo slide being projected on to the wall.  I can hear the carousal turning to present the next picture now. 
The slide show ends, he then proceeds to pick up his notes, bow his head and read his notes word for word.  Ugh!  Rarely does ever look up...So Professor Binns it is.

Biostats, a very interesting class.  One thing, we don't have to do any math in this class!  Yes!  Not, that I hate math, but stats.  Statistics, one of the worst undergrad courses ever! Anyways, our professor is rather animated and knows how to get the wheels in our heads spinning.  He has a way of invoking the spirit of research.  Eventually, we will be doing a research project, which I am excited about.  I just don't know exactly what I would like to study.  I have though about how chemotherapy affects bovine implants in the heart.  However, I may want to write something more along the lines of general medicine...don't know.  Thoughts?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
On My Way To PA © 2011 | Designed by Blogger Templates Gallery