Powered by Blogger.

Pages

Summer Semester: more than half over.

Sunday, July 7, 2013
I found myself in a pickle the other day. I had an online test due by the next morning, so I hit up the library for some serious quiet time.  I headed straight up to the 5th floor, which is the best level to be on during the summer semester. Looking at the closing time, it didn't dawn on me that it was only a half hour away.  Laying out my papers, notes and setting up my computer, I commenced on my three hour limited test. 

Ten minutes later, "The library closes in 20 minutes." The soft voice most likely came from a freshman.     Anyways, my situation became real. I can't close my laptop otherwise my test will end, but I have to leave the library.  And I know I can't finish this lab medicine exam within 20 minutes.

The library has a 24 hour 'cell block.' I now have a goal in mind, but how to get down stairs without losing connection. With my belongings packed, except my laptop I decide the stairwell is probably the safest bet.  The campus elevators are just too slow!  With a small prayer and fast feet I take to the stairs. As I descend, my visual oscillates between the path and the internet bars. Third, second and then the first floor. Not once did I lose connection!  I finished my test in time, but not without a good sense of anxiety. 

Lately, I have been attending the local hospital for some required observations.  The first time around, I hit up the Cardiovascular and Pulmonary units. First was the cath lab.  Here I was able to witness a couple of exams where the doctor feeds a catheter into the heart, adds some radiopaque contrast and takes images.

  The first patient didn't necessary have a cardiac conditions, but they wanted to rule it out.  He did exhibit typical signs for pulmonary hypertension, clubbing of the fingers, smoker of 40 years, chronic cough and barrel chested. They found nothing significant.  The second patient displayed occasional mid-back pain, but no angina. During the exam, he had stenosis (narrowing) of the right coronary artery (Similar to the image below).  However, it wasn't bad enough to place a stent.



What was interesting, the right ventricle should have a systolic pressure of approximately 20-25mmHg, but this guy had an increase up to 85!

I then ventured over to the stress tests.  Here, they hook patients up to a heart monitor and 'pop' them on treadmills.  During the fast paced walk, the nurse is taking blood pressures. The blood pressure is suppose to increase during the exam, but only by so much.  Also, they obtain an ECG (EKG).  With regards to the non-ambulatory patients, they administer a drug that causes the heart to think it is exercising (vasodialate).  The ECG and blood pressures are taking as well.  What is interesting, the nurse will give the patient caffeine post non-ambulatory exam. This acts as a vasoconstrictor, slowing the blood flow.

The following week, I headed over to Radiology land to view MRI and CT.  I, at first was a bit annoyed because I have a seen a billion of them done.  However, I let go and went in with an open mind.  One of the most interesting exams noted was, syringomelia.  What?!  It is damaged to the spinal cord caused by an fluid-filled hole.


For those of you who don't know what your are looking at, this is an MRI of the cervical spine (Neck region). The vertebral bodies to the left, spinal cord in the center and the spinous processes to the right. The arrows are pointed at the syringomelia or syrinx for short. Not sure how they fix these (I assume surgery is the only option), but if not corrected, it can cause some major damage to the individuals nerves, motor, sensory and even paralysis.




1 comments:

  1. Max and Deanna said...:

    You sound more official all the time. Good job!

Post a Comment

 
On My Way To PA © 2011 | Designed by Blogger Templates Gallery