Powered by Blogger.

Pages

There She Be! lol!

Sunday, November 11, 2012
Those of you in my class will understand the joke (title). Lol! I am glad we can have fun during class and that we have fantastic professors!  O, okay I will share.  During Physical Diagnosis class, we were practicing the female genitalia exam.  Of course we practiced on plastic models.  One of our professors was demonstrating how to insert the speculum, to view the os of the cervix, "It slides in like this and...there she be!" She states as she is pointing out the cervix.  

Just back from the gym, holy crap!!! I am out of shape!  I haven't been to the gym in a long time or so it seems.  I had a great warm up with the row machine, push-ups, air squats, stretches...anyways, got over to do my main work out and half way through...the sudden twisting and turning in my gut told me to stop before I vomited everywhere! lol! 

Stopped and headed to the stationary bikes.  Comfort, plus I was able to study while I road for about 20 minutes.  I know that I won't be able to have the strength I use to while in PA school, but I would like to hit the gym at least twice a week.  I know it is a great stress reliever.

Once upon a time I did Crossfit!  I love Crossfit!  I never knew that I could get that beat up and desire more!  I felt confident and in shape.  I hope to return to it when I finish school.


I am in the blue shirt. (I know they just happen to get me standing over the weight, but yes, I did lift it 90 times!!!)  We did a WOD (work out of the day)  called Badger.
 (Complete three rounds for time of:
95 pound Squat clean, 30 reps
30 Pull-ups, Run 800 meters)  

 It was a wounded warrior fundraiser. In the pic, the gentleman in the gray shirt is a veteran with only one leg! My focus during this WOD were my brothers who served our country and are now serving their families.  I had never broke down crying after a workout before, but this hit home for me.  I am extremely thankful for the men and women who serve our country in such an honorary manner.

I am in the process of writing a book report, "On Call in Hell." It is written by Dr. Jadick who served in Fallujah, Iraq as a battalion surgeon. Such an empowering experience to read about! It wasn't so much about the war, but more about a physician's duty in the war.

So, this last week in anatomy lab we removed skull caps and removed brains!!!  Nothing says neurosurgeon better than the smell of burning bone! Once the skull cap was removed, our professor gathered us around and slowly pulled the brain back pointing out all the cranial nerves and their specific tracts.  Now, keep in mind that we could only see the top portion of the brain, so we had to stick our faces into the opening of the head just to see the tiny nerves.

We have one last test (Pathophysiology, blood and cardio test) prior to our ONE WEEK Thanksgiving break!!!



1 comments:

  1. Max and Deanna said...:

    I so enjoy hearing what you are doing and learning. Keep up the good work and from someone with YEARS on her--"you will have year to get back into cross fit and the shape you want to." Advise from my mother, "A time and a season for everything." You're doing great--proud of you.

Post a Comment

 
On My Way To PA © 2011 | Designed by Blogger Templates Gallery